210 Commercial Ave, Coleman

210 Commercial Ave Web Reference: PROP2917
$124,900
  • Property size 5000 sq ft
  • Property size 0 Garage
  • Property size 0 Bedroom
  • Property size 1 Bath
Contact Agent

Here’s your chance to own 5000 sq ft of Coleman History.  Located right in the middle of downtown, this would be a great opportunity for someone to get in on the action.

Listed at $124,900.00

SOME HISTORY ON 210-212 S. COMMERCIAL AVE

A very early photo, sometime in the 1890’s, shows a vacant lot to the south of 208 Commercial Ave.

Frank Washington Taylor moved into the city of Coleman In 1904 where he operated a laundry for two years. When the laundry burned, he opened a meat market and bakery (Staple and Fancy Groceries?) at 210 Commercial Ave. The meat market is identified on the Sanborn Maps of 1909.

A photograph taken in 1916 shows the south side of the building as Lempeotis Sweets*, where James Nicholas Lempeotis sold ice cream and other treats. It was later known as Lempeotis Confectionary. Lempeotis was born in Sparta, Greece but migrated to Texas, finally settling in Coleman in 1907. In 1934, one of his daughters, Virginia, married F. W. Taylor, Jr., known to family and friends as ‘Dink’.

The north side was occupied by Staple and Fancy Groceries. It is identified on the Sanborn Maps of 1916 as meat market and dry goods.

In 1929, Lang and Crawford, Inc., dealing in ladies ready-to-wear, was located at 210 South Commercial Avenue.  W. J. Lang, Dallas, Texas was the president, and O. B. Crawford was the manager.  Their telephone number was 821.”  (Coleman City Directory, 1929 – Hudspeth.)

Sometime later, 210 was Bickley Grocery and 212, G. W. Omohundro’s Drug Store.

The Scott Burr Stores Corporation, a subsidiary of Butler Brothers, opened the Burr’s Department Store at 210-212 S Commercial Ave in 1940. The former grocery and drug store buildings were completely renovated for this opening. C. R. Anthony Company purchased the Burr’s location “lock, stock and barrel” in June of 1954.

The C. R. Anthony Clothing Store was at this location until 1997.

Bealls Clothing Store moved into the building in 1998, closing in 2002.

Bob Altman opened B. Altman’s Clothing Store at this location, until it closed in late 2003.

In early 2004, Eric and Kay Joffrion purchased this building and enlarged the Commercial Avenue Antiques Mall into it.

 

*Note – Commercial Ave Antiques has some of the bentwood chairs used in the shop.

Gallery